Your lumbar spine is made up of 5 strong vertebrae, separated with soft discs that sit between each space and several layers of muscle and soft tissue. All of these structures work together and give your back strength and flexibility, allowing your back to be the strongest part of your body.
Acute lower back pain is usually caused by excess stresses and strains being placed upon these tissues. As your lower back is essential to all movements in your body, pain in this area can often feel more severe than elsewhere.
Self Management Strategies
- Resting in bed for long periods is generally discouraged.
- Staying active, and using heat and simple medications (eg, ibuprofen such as Nurofen or a diclofenac such as Voltaren) for pain relief can be helpful.
- Simple stretches for back can be beneficial. (Your physio will be able to show you correct stretches)
How Enrich Physio’s Physiotherapist can help
- We can do number of treatment options. Including Hands on treatment like Mobilisations, Manipulations and soft tissue massage
- Develop a home based education, stretching and strengthening program
- Use real time Ultrasound once initial pain has settled for training core activation
- Dry Needling for pain release and muscle relaxation